POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New include file demo (79K) : Re: This better? (177K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This better? (177K)
From: Dan Johnson
Date: 11 Jan 2001 23:26:12
Message: <3A5E889A.D30DFEB8@hotmail.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Your tetrahedron edges are labeled "Tetrahedron_vertexes". The text
> sometimes casts shadows on the objects, I'd make it shadowless.

Oops cut paste mistake.  Fixed it in my scene file.  I think the images
look to flat with a shadowless light.  I changed one of the lightsource
locations, it looks better now.

> And you
> might want to put spheres at the vertices of the edge samples to make
> the junctions of the cylinders smooth.
> And I was about to pick on your spelling of "vertices" as "vertexes",
> but I checked the dictionary and both are allowed...

I wanted the image to accurately show what the function outputted.  The
functions are designed to work together, so if you used say

union {
            Cube_vertexes(1,.1)
            Cube_edges(1,.1)
            }
you would have perfect smooth junctions.  I knew of both spellings, I like
the sound of the second one better.

> Oh, and why don't the cuboctahedron and icosidodecahedron have edges,
> vertices, or loops?

    I got tired, maybe I will put all of the Archimedian Solids in version
2.  I just did the cuboctahedron, and icosidodecahedron, because they were
so easy using the code I already had.  They are just an intersections
between to of the shapes I already had.  They look cooler when you use
different colors for the two intersecting shapes.    Combining the
octahedron_loops, and the cube_loops would be the same as
cuboctahedronloops.  Similarly for icosidodecahedron.

> And where are the loops for the tetrahedron?

    Turn out to be the same as cubeloops... bummer.

> Well, that's enough nit-picking...BTW, nice polyhedrons. ;-)
> I think I'll have some fun with this include file...
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff
> Personal: chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/
> TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg, http://tag.povray.org/